e-Learning QUIZ ID # Web-07-01-13
VALUE: 2.0 NAHUC CONTACT HOURS
Fee: $5 (U.S. Dollars) for NAHUC members, $10 (U.S. Dollars) for non-members
Do not send cash. Make check payable to: NAHUC.
If overpayment is made, refunds will be issued in the form of NAHUC Buck certificates.
Directions: Print, choose the most correct answer and mail the completed quiz, self- addressed self-stamped return envelope along with appropriate fee to:
Only quizzes with at least 70% answered correctly will be awarded contact hours. Please allow up to six weeks for the return of corrected quiz and contact hours.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF THIS QUESTIONNAIRE IS DECEMBER 31, 2013
Name_____________________________________ Member # ___________________
Email address: _____________________________ Phone number:_______________
Crystal Cox, CHUC, of
Topic: Neonatal Infections
Learning Objective: Develop an understanding of infections that can affect neonates.
Instructions: Using the web resources listed above, circle the most correct answer.
1. Nine out of ten MRSA infections are related to health care. MRSA stands for “methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.”
a. Both statements are true.
b. First statement is true but the second statement is false.
c. First statement is false but the second statement is true.
d. Both statements are false.
2. What bacterium is most often found in the mothers rectum and vaginal canal and can be easily transmitted to the baby if not treated by antibiotics?
a. Escherichia coli
b. Group B streptococcus
c. Listeria monocytogenes
d. Yeast candida
3. Meningitis is the inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. What procedure is typically performed to obtain a specimen to diagnose meningitis?
a. Lumbar puncture
b. Suctioning of the throat
c. Swab of the nose
4. Congenital infections include all of the following except:
5. Many neonatal infections cause similar symptoms. Which of the following is not a common sign of infection?
a. Decrease or increase of body temperature
b. Large birth weight
d. Poor feeding
6. The following condition can be called pinkeye and may be caused by both bacterial and viral infections.
7. Which of the following is a true statement about Cytomegalovirus (CMV)?
a. It is not a common congenital infection but can be cause by bacteria.
b. It is the leading cause of congenital hearing loss.
c. It is common and can be treated with over-the-counter medication.
d. It is a common fungal infection.
8. Sepsis can be caused by viruses, fungi, bacteria, or parasites. Like meningitis, symptoms of sepsis are not specific and vary from child to child.
a. The first statement is false but the second statement is true.
b. Both statements are false.
c. The first statement is true but the second statement is false.
d. Both statements are true.
9. What is not something women can do to help protect themselves and their unborn babies?
a. Be current on their immunizations.
b. Practice safe sex to avoid STD’s that can lead to congenital infections.
c. Request monthly blood cultures during pregnancy.
d. Thoroughly wash and cook food.
10. What infection may cause oral thrush?
c. Group B Streptococcal